The saffron-yellow castle The history of Hohenschwangau Castle
1833 – 1837 Crown Prince Maximilian of Bavaria had the dilapidated Schwanstein Castle rebuilt in neo-Gothic style. King Ludwig II not only lived here his youth, this castle served as his summer residence until his death in 1886.
In the 12th century Hohenschwangau Castle, Schwanstein Castle, as it was then called, was first mentioned in documents. Until the 16th century it was owned by the Knights of Schwangau and changed hands several times in the following period. During various wars it was severely damaged again and again. In 1832 the later King Maximilian II, father of King Ludwig II, acquired it and had it rebuilt in the neo-Gothic style according to original plans. The Bavarian royal family used it as a summer and hunting residence. King Ludwig II not only spent his childhood here, but used it as a summer residence until his death in 1886. Schloss Hohenschwangau has been owned by the Wittelsbacher Ausgleichfonds since 1923.
Hohenschwangau Castle can only be visited as part of a guided tour. Tickets are available at the Ticket Center Hohenschwangau. Guided tours are offered in German and English or in other languages as audio guides. A guided tour lasts about 30 minutes.
Tickets are available at the Ticket Center Hohenschwangau.
Phone: 0 83 62 / 93 08-30
Opening hours: until 15 October: 09.00 – 18.00 o’clock
16 October – 31 March: 10.00 – 16.00 hrs,
Ticket sales at Hohenschwangau Castle:
Until 15 October 2018: 07.30 – 16.30.
From 16 October 2018 – 31 March 2019: 08.30 – 15.30 hrs.
The reservation office can be reached by telephone daily from 09.00 – 17.00 under the telephone number 0 83 62 / 93 08-30.
Can people with limited mobility visit the castle?
No, contact the Ticket Center if your mobility is restricted. Animals are not allowed in the castle.