If you are in Elbigenalp, you should not miss a visit to the hotel and restaurant “Post”. In former times it was the house of the famous lithographer, painter and chronicler Johann Anton Falger, who built the house in 1826. In 1835 he founded a drawing school, which became the forerunner of today’s carving school. The lessons were free of charge and were largely supported by donations from the richer Lechtal people. The last highlight in his life must have been the visit of Queen Mother Marie of Bavaria to Elbigenalp on September 19, 1867. This, if only a short, honorary visit to the house of the Falger couple was to be followed by many more visits by the Bavarian King Mother. It was the beginning of a friendship that lasted until Falger’s death, which even prompted the artist to donate his house to the Queen Mother as a summer residence after his death. Since that time the house was owned by the Queen Mother Marie of Bavaria, who often used it as a summer residence for herself and her son Otto. Marie von Bayern died in 1889 and left her house to the parish of Elbigenalp. Just one year later, the house was bought at an auction by the postmaster Johann Moll and converted into an inn, which was given the name “Post” due to the post office located in it. Until 1970, the post office was located in this house.
It has been a family-run hotel since 1926. For over 80 years, the hotel has been handed down from generation to generation from father to son and the hotel tradition has been continued. The hotel has 29 comfortable and individually furnished rooms, including 3 bedrooms dating from the 19th century, when Queen Marie of Bavaria, the mother of King Ludwig II, owned the hotel. The dining room still has the charm of that time. Today the restaurant and the terrace invite to a cosy get-together, whether Tyrolean specialities, international cuisine or gourmet delicacies, the kitchen offers a large selection of dishes.